Thread: Human caravan
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #149
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You use the RFK quote as a straw-mannish idiotic tautology. You set up GDP as lacking something it does not purport to measure. Then you seem to accuse it, by implication, of only doing that which it purports to do--speak of those things that involve a price. And from that you loosely slide that into meaning that Trump and Trumplicans only value things that fetch a price.

As usual, there is a vast unexplored space between your argument and your conclusion. One doesn't necessarily follow the other. Just because a Trumplican puts value in GDP, does not mean that he values nothing else.

i'm sure that Jim values other things than GDP which make "life worthwhile."
Right, because if I think rising GDP is a good thing, I can't simultaneously care about kids being happy and seniors being comfortable. Nope, hoping for a robust GDP, according to him, necessarily means I can't care about anything else.

Think about how stupid this is. You and I have argued multiple times about my liberal position of free healthcare for congenital conditions. And yet I also root for robust GDP, and I also foster rescue dogs. How can that be? I am excited about tax cuts, yet I also want small class sizes for schoolchildren. How is that possible?

That was a really, really dumb argument.