Thread: Syria
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

As long as we support the Kurds (most of them anyway) we should continue to step back from Syria. If Assad gasses his people again, level a couple palaces and Mil installations.

Syria could be the 21st century Sarajevo.

Right now the major players are Syria, remnants of ISIS, RUS, Turkey, Kurds, Iran, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the USA. With a sticky web of interconnected alliances and oppositions. I once saw a pretty smart guy I follow say if you want to see Game of Thrones level complexity in real life, just watch Syria.

Less than 2 years ago, ISIS had an enormous presence in Syria, today it is significantly smaller.

Less than a year ago, US forces had the biggest battle against Russian (mercenary) forces since ever. US forces killed a couple hundred Russian Mercs and several hundred more Syrians when that group tried to attack an American unit on the other side of the deconfliction line. This could have turned south very, very fast.

I feel sorry for the Kurds, and for the local Syrian population, but we cannot risk WW3 fuse starting there.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: