View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #92
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I agree if and when a wall is ever built it would temporarily reduce crossings, but at what cost to build and what about maintaining it? There are so many better ways to police and protect our borders, without putting that bill on our children and future generations. It is a campaign promise without any sound thought behind it, but it’s what the base wants and that is why he is holding the government and it’s emploees hostage.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"would temporarily reduce crossings,"

How would a wall, ever be at a point, where it didn't prevent even a single person from crossing? Not everyone who wants to cross is Macgyver.

"at what cost to build"

5 billion, a pittance.

"and what about maintaining it?"

A great question, one that needs to be answered. But remember the wall generates some savings, because 64% of the people who cross, are on welfare.

"There are so many better ways to police and protect our borders"

I keep hearing that. Can you elaborate on what would work better than a wall? Everyone says this, no one offers specifics. You can't have a cop every 100 yards for thousands of miles.

"putting that bill on our children"

It's not even a rounding error compared to what we're saddling our kids with.
"
"It is a campaign promise without any sound thought behind it"

There is sound thought behind it. It will keep some people out, you said that yourself. I haven't seen a border patrol agent say it wouldn't help.

Do you shut your door at night, or do you rely on better technology, like drones and motion detectors?

The way out for the democrats, is to offer to fund the wall but demand that he give them what they want on DACA. Trump would have to agree to that, because it's the best deal he's likely to get. If he turned that down, he'd look like an idiot. That's the way out for the democrats.

And again, many of the democrats were in favor of the wall, until the day of Trumps inauguration. That's not principled. It's political.