View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #13
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
they weren’t, i don’t think. regardless, as recently as 2013, the democrats were in favor of barriers. Now that Trump is potus, pelosi says they are immoral. and a 13th century solution to a 21st century problem.

in what century did 2006 and 2013 take place?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
In 2006, at the time it was passed, George W. Bush's White House touted the fence as "an important step toward immigration reform."[1] The White House Office of the Press Secretary stated that the Act "Authorizes the construction of hundreds of miles of additional fencing along our Southern border; Authorizes more vehicle barriers, checkpoints, and lighting to help prevent people from entering our country illegally; Authorizes the Department of Homeland Security to increase the use of advanced technology like cameras, satellites, and unmanned aerial vehicles to reinforce our infrastructure at the border."[1]

The original 2006 act provided for "at least two layers of reinforced fencing" to be built. However, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) successfully argued to Congress "that different border terrains required different types of fencing, that a one-size-fits-all approach across the entire border didn't make sense."[6]

An amendment introduced by Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Republican of Texas, was passed, amending the law to read: "nothing in this paragraph shall require the Secretary of Homeland Security to install fencing, physical barriers, roads, lighting, cameras, and sensors in a particular location along an international border of the United States, if the Secretary determines that the use or placement of such resources is not the most appropriate means to achieve and maintain operational control over the international border at such location."[6]

I don't think they are immoral and she got a lot a crap for saying that. The walls under that act were put in the populous areas in Calif. - not the desert like where this wall will go.