View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #48
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

"And he down plays any other solution than a "wall". "

He harps on the wall, because that's the source of disagreement. he always is sure to talk about more agents and better technologyI don't hear him. It always a "Big beautiful wall".

"So what changed between 2013 and now where 6 years ago the Repub. weren't screaming we needed more walls?"

Here is the difference between you and I. I asked 3-4 times what changed since democrats favored the wall, and you chose not to answer. bc it has been discussed numerous times in other threadsYou asked me once what changed on the GOP side, and I will answer.

In 2006, Bush was President, and he wasn't as serious about the issue as Trump. In 2013, Obama was President, and he also wasn't as militant on the issue as Trump is. Today, the Republicans see that this issue was a huge reason why Trump got elected, and they don't want to be seen as soft. So sure, some of it is purely political posturing.

Now, how many times do I have to ask why the dems flip-flopped on this issue, before you'll answer?
the senate passed the immigration reform act of 2013 (or whatever the name was) which included fencing, techn., guards and included immigration reform. The house never took it up. Trump just wants $ for a wall. He won't compromise where he takes some $ for more security and gives up something on immigration reform. Something like that will likely be agreed to and he might sign it bc he'll realize he is in a no win situation but he certainly won't propose it and he will be miserable. So the Dems will agree to more $ for security and some fences and some walls and more guards in exchange for some immigration reform. They have been saying that all along.