View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #236
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
That all works as long as you declare an emergency, but when you claim you didn't need to it ought to make you think. I suppose it was just hyperbole, puffery or it could be another lie.

He did declare an emergency. So, as you say, it all works. Enough for me when it comes to the question of leglality and unconstitutionality. As for whether an emergency is needed for the Pentagon to spend unobligated funds on other things, I don't know. I don't think an emergency is needed to do so. But I don't know. I was responding to the objections that Trump was somehow trampling the Constitution. And that he was stealing. It seems that you have come around to seeing that he was not illegally messing with Congress's power of the purse

There are other programs being cancelled.

The military construction budget was gutted to build 175 miles of wall and fencing along the border with Mexico, which is about 2,000 miles long.

Sometimes priorities suck.

Just remember your justification when the next president declares an emergency

I didn't create a justification. I stated the legal process that exists. If you don't like that legal process, then remember how we got to the point that the federal government has far more power than the Constitution originally gave it.

to solve one of these problems.

1. Divert military money to fund renewable energy and climate-related construction projects
2. Block domestic oil drilling
3. Restrict car emissions
4. Overhaul trade with countries that buy and sell fossil fuels
5. Change gun regulations
And when you say they could not, keep in mind that at the beginning of the year it was thought that Trump couldn't.
This is rich. You didn't seem concerned about warnings about what the federal government could become and do as a result of Progressive "interpretations" of the law.

It would be nice if we didn't insist that the federal government solve many of the problems that the states and the free market should solve. If it didn't it might be easier to fund it and the things it should constitutionally solve.