View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I listened to an interview of a young Chinese college student going to college in the USA within the past few months likely on NPR in my car.
She could not understand why in the USA people did not feel like they did in China.
In China she said the leaders know the right thing to do and of course the people and media support them.
Pete, I was not suggesting that "full support" for Trump meant lockstep like the enforced lockstep imposed in China. I meant full support of him being a duly elected President rather than constantly investigating whether he might be a Nazi, or Putin puppet (without any real evidence that he is either), and criticizing everything he says and resisting everything he tries to do.

Let's just say it's "bad optics" to "resist" his every effort (even when some of those things were what Dems claimed they were for). It's bad foreign policy optics to try to paint him as the embodiment of evil, guilty of every sin prescribed by our leftists--racist, homophobe, misogynist, Nazi, Alt-Right, any and every other phobe, as well as being a crafty evil manipulative mastermind con man who is also dumb as a rock.

Giving him even some of the courtesy given to past Presidents, many of whom were more scandalous than him, even when they were in office, might present to the world that we truly support "our democracy" and as well, more importantly, our Republic, and support the leaders that we have duly elected, even though we may have disagreements on various policies.

When we weaken our President mainly in order to defeat him and regain power (as the optics profoundly indicate), we weaken the ability of our government to assert the necessary power and unity required to influence and persuade other nations and adversaries to even consider giving us the time of day when we ask for the diplomatic quid pro quo that you claim is always a part of diplomacy.

China may well be licking its chops, laughing at us in the way Trump is being treated, not only because it thinks that as a result of that it can wait Trump out. But because it doesn't look like we really believe in a truly democratic process. That we are really authoritarians at heart who are willing to destroy those we vote for merely to gain power. That is, we are like them, not supposedly liberty loving "Americans" (with all that connotes), and it is they, not us, who have the right way to govern. It reinforces any notion they might have that they are not just governing by force because the masses are too ignorant to properly govern themselves, but that they are morally, politically, and existentially right in doing so.

Or, to state it with less verbiage, destroying Trump makes it easier for the Chinese Communists to ignore him. And with him out of the way, they can focus strictly on going back to the American politics that existed pre-Trump, and more easily continue on to world dominance.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 10-20-2019 at 06:30 PM..