View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Two reasons I can think of.
1. There are existing models and programs where that exact transition has happened in that region.

2. Your average 37 year old miner out of work is not going back to undergrad pre med, then med school, then residency etc. to be a doctor. They probably can take on an associates or some equivalent training to get involved in a computer based industry, alternative energy etc.. This is a far saner approach for that region than 'We're going to bring back Coal'
Bryan, if you have evidence that "anyone who can shovel coal" can be taught to write code, what is it? I am stunned you're saying this. One profession is unskilled physical labor, one is purely intellectual, technical problem solving. Couldn't be more different. If every coal miner can learn to write code, who probably can't learn to write code? Anyone? If you were a high school guidance counselor, is there any kind of kid, and kind at all, to whom you would not suggest a career as a computer programmer?

If they could all write code, why aren't they doing that? Better money, much safer, better longevity, more stable. Coal mining seems to me, to be what people do, who have zero other options.

I don't see it as anything close to sane.