Thread: New rules
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #27
Headhunter

Things are down rite bad as far as big fish are concerned. The shore line was littered with fish up to 24" or so from july thru the end of October. No news flash that the breeding population is in trouble. I am going to submit my recommendation for option 3, 28 to 35" NO SPLIT MODE. If we do not address this now the stripe bass fishery could be pushed to a point o no return. We need to suck it up for at least 3 years but prob more like 5 years. With that being said how do we keep the interest of all the surf, boat and people that book charters.
Allow fish 50 pounds and over to be harvested from the surf and fish 60 pounds and over harvested by boat. Everyone still has a shot and is motivated to spend the same money they have been spending every year for a shot at "The Holy Grail" of stripe bass fishing!! It evens the playing field for boat and surf fishermen also.

The experienced know that Stripe Bass over 16, or so, pounds do not taste as good and are not as good or you as the fish under 16 pounds. 28 t0 35" is just about perfect?
Educate the younger people and the boat clients to that fact.
We can change the mentality pretty quickly and we all will be better off for it.

I did not get the address last night to send my response to RIDEM. I am sure someone will have it here. I urge every surf person here and everyone you know to support option 3 if you want to be able to catch any stripe bass at all. I have a feeling a moratorium might be coming, it might be too late for this or any other option to work.

Last edited by Headhunter; 02-11-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote