View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 03:37 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
A xenophobe is someone prejudiced against those from other countries. He is married to someone from another country. So even though he's a crappy husband and she is white and hot, xenophpbe isn't the word I'd use. "Azzhole" I smore along the lines of what I'd use, he definitely shows a lack of empathy.

His first wife, Ivana, was also from another country. The lefties on this forum keep criticizing him for being cozy to foreign leaders from countries who they say are our enemies. He has better relations with Israel than many of our beloved leaders. People like PaulS and PeteF and Spence like to have it both ways. They're either mistaken, or liars, or political hacks, or they are just trolling you.

At a minimum, he's not shy about throwing little people from other nations under the bus, if he thinks it will help Americans. I haven't decided yet, if that's a bad trait in an American President.

??? What are you talking about?

Anyway, to your point, IN GENERAL he's not as respectful as he should be, to our neighbors.

I don't know of a specified or codified proper amount of respect, quantifiable or otherwise, that he is supposed to show. He doesn't seem to show any more lack of respect to various Americans as he has, if he has, than to our neighbors. He does have an in-built trigger to throw back insults to those, from any country, who trash him.

But more to the point of this thread, I don't think his travel ban was the least bit xenophobic. I think it was a principled response to an obvious public health threat. Do you think it was xenophobic to restrict travel from China in response to the Chinese outbreak of this disease? Any chance you can answer that question? Any chance at all?

Again, all you can do in response to my post, all you can do, is criticize Trump. You can't just say "it's idiotic for others to assume the travel ban was rooted in xenophobia or racism, and idiot can see the benefit of such restrictions in the early days of such an outbreak".

You could also admit that people with larger megaphones than mayor of a dinky town, said what I claimed they said. Would that kill you?
Quit trying to be fair with these guys who are not fair with you. To begin with, understand this: they are mostly full of $hit. Mostly, they are not worth responding to. They have been so totally wrong about Trump, and his supposed collusions and obstructions and supposed racism, and all his supposed phobes and Nazism, etc. They have, for whatever reason, some form of TSD, or just plain hate him. Their post re him range from simple bias to irrational rants. They are not worth trying to have a fair, rational discussion with.

I've pretty much quit trying. Sea Dangles has a good approach to them. Scottw pretty much has it about right to throw snide, as PaulS might call it, at them. But if it makes you feel better . . . keep trying. And good luck with that.