View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Fascism is used by most regular folks as a buzzword for government they don't like. Orwell realized years ago that for most there was no specific meaning to the word. Rather, it is a word loosely used to name some form of authoritarianism.

From the various dictionary definitions of Fascism that I've read, between Progressivism and Constitutionalism, Progressivism is the form of government more likely to lead to fascism.

That said, for me, it is not about, in America, between Fascism and freedom, or between Fascism and Democracy, it is the battle we are having, at this moment, between Progressivism and Constitutionalism. Those are more easily defined than Fascism, and more accurately what it is about.
Sounds like Jonah Goldberg has been leading you down the primrose path and now you, like poor Jonah, have become a victim of the Progressives, who in his belief are similar to Mussolini.
I do think his definition of fascism, while incorrect, is interesting and certainly applicable at least in part to the current regime.
“Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people.
It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve that common good.
It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure.
Everything, including the economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives. Any rival identity is part of the "problem" and therefore defined as the enemy.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin