Thread: Oh boy....
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #63
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Bottom line: If Trump and the Turtle even try to install an ideologically polarizing nominee in RBGs seat, the Republicans will lose the Senate, House and Presidency, and there could easily be 13 justices on the Supreme Court by the end of 2021. So, go ahead and try ....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
first, to address hypocrisy.

in 1992, at the end of Bush 41’s first term, Biden was head of the senate judiciary committee. he said that he would not hold a vote on any nominations bush made in an election year.

Then in 2016, obviously, Biden felt very differently about nominations during an election year.

So where’s the consistency, Pete? The democrats chose to remove bipartisanship from this process. when clinton was president, Ginsburg received 94 votes, meaning almost every single republican voted for her.

The democrats, under biden and reid, changed the rules. They torpedoed Bork and then Reid took an eraser to all the rules to help senate democrats. Fine. but don’t cry foul just because the gop is now using those same revised rules in their favor when they can.

you’re right, if trump and
mcconnell move ahead, the american people will get to vote on what they think, very shortly after. and when the democrats give the female nominee the kavanaugh treatment, voters will also have the option of expressing how they feel about that as well. right?

as to court stacking, if that’s where the democrats want to go, then trump and mcconnell can do that right now too.

when you threaten things like court stacking, that’s only a viable threat if you assume the gop will
never again hold the white house and senate. thats what harry reid was banking on when he implemented the nuclear option and eliminated the filibuster on these nominations. how is that working out today, for the democrats? tell us pete, hows it working out?

if trump can get 50 votes in the senate ( which i thought was certain, but obviously i was very wrong), he’s going to nominate someone who change the courts. there is no “if”. only the senate can stop him.

why is that scary anyway? what’s so terrifying about a court who is guided by what the constitution actually says, instead of what they wish it said?

i keep hearing the court will outlaw abortion. they can’t. what they’d do, is let states decide, which is exactly what the constitution says should be the case. if people want abortion, they’ll elect state legislatures that allow it. that’s called democracy. why is that so horrible?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-20-2020 at 08:05 AM..