View Single Post
Old 08-31-2022, 11:20 AM   #161
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You did a good job explaining why private schools are better (clearly, they can refuse to accept troublemakers). What you failed to do, is explain why it isn't then a good idea to get the conscientious students out of Hartford schools, and into good private schools. Sounds like you concede private schools are better places for kids who actually want to learn,yes, for the most part yet you'd deny that opportunity to the poor students in Hartford who are trying to get an education. Why? Why say "no" to them? If it's not politics (acting on behalf of teachers and the union), why deny letting them go to a better and cheaper school? I don't get it.BC it will make the public schools worse skimming off the "cream of the crop"

"easy to be successful as a private school when you can skim off the cream of the crop"

OK, I went to Notre Dame High in West Haven. It wasn't Miss Porters, or Avon Old Farms, Paul. We didn't only have the "cream of the crop". I concede we didn't have a lot of kids with deadbeat parents, but we had plenty of poor kids, plenty of C students. Those teachers I had, didn't have it "easy". They worked their butts off. And they all had second jobs in the summer to pay the bills.
Agree - mainly bc I went there also. I don't know that we had "poor" kids. Prob. blue collar. Most teachers (public and private) have summer jobs in the summer. Atleast the younger ones.