View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
NIB

When u pick a do-it mold they recomend a Eagle Claw hook.well these are pure crap an if u want the fish of a lifetime opening a hook on u then be my guest.get the equivilant size or even next size up mustad.34184 is the longer shank an 34185 is the shorter shank.the easy way to remember this is the bigger number is the smaller shank.try to find if u can hooks that don't end in the prefix D as that stand for the new plating process called Duratin an they are not as good as the old ones this has been well talked of with thier new trebles.take a dremel tool an VERY CAREFULLY open the space for the hook up to except the bigger hook.the more mistakes u make the more cleaning up u'll have to do later on.So take ur time.once ur done with that u'll have to "smoke" the mold.Take a candle an light it.Hold the mold over the smoke coming off the candle so that the cavities fill up with the suit from the smoke this allows the pourings to come out more freely.The small pot that has the element underneath an pours right out with a ladle type configuration is a good starter pot.always heat the molds up by placing them on top of the pot as the lead melts this will also remove any condensate that might build in the cooler months.never ever allow any water neer the lead pot while pouring.they don't mix an the water will make the lead pop an blow all over very dangerous when 450 degree metals are flyin around in a liquid state.Use eye protection an get one of those masks for lead..I make my own jigs only because i believe I make a far supperior product then i can buy.Its tough to get smaller 1/2 -1 1/2 jig head sizes with good hooks in em. the 7/0 owner hook u can buy from got stripers is a great hook.Good luck.

Last edited by NIB; 12-07-2004 at 09:25 AM..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote