View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #23
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Gilligan,
With regards to your first comment about not being liked around here, I have no memory of any past transgressions that would you on my chit list.

That said, I took this thread to be one which asked for advice. Your response was pointed towards speed of installation, fewer number of seams, and watertight properties. If you wish to include me in your narrow minded caste, let me state where I'm coming from. I don't like the look or feel of vinyl or aluminum siding. I find a well maintained wood exterior more tasteful and classy. That is simply a matter of my taste. With regards to ease of maintenance, you got me. Number of seams, you got me. Water tight properties, you will have an argument from me on the day after a properly sided wood exterior home is completed. But they must be maintained! Hey, I have a world of respect for a good trim coiler, and siding installer, just as I do for the plasterers, plumbers, and electricians. I work with wood for the most part, That is my schtick, my medium if you will. I leave the magic of the other stuff to those guys.

But as to why I hate to work with it is another matter. 99% of the time I am brought in to remedy a problem that should have been dealt with BEFORE the vinyl or aluminum siding was installed. I have seen my share of butchered siding jobs, just as I have seen butchered carpentry. In my opinion it should be the responsibility of a siding installer to refuse to install before proper repairs are performed. The lack of doing so leads to someone else's problem down the road, subsequent homeowners and contractors for the most part. It is therfore my opinion that SOME installers would gladly install despite problems rather than losing a pay day. AND THERE'S JUST TOO MUCH OF THAT CHIT GOING ON.

Narrow minded you may say, but experience counts for something in my job which demands professionalism. It's got MY name on it. Just my view. I hope you can be open to another point of view.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote