Thread: Gas Prices
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #95
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman
I do feel bad for all those people, really I do but I just don't understand why a coastal city was built below sea level that relys on a system of levies and pumps to keep them dry. (and I live on an island). It is just stupid in my view to build below the ocean in a area frequented by storms and regular flooding that requires an active system to keep them dry and safe. Everyone down there was expecting "the big one" someday. IMO they should not rebuild the city. If your beach house washes away in the storm you don't get to re-build, why should they? It will happen again, and again. Who says we learn from history? My vote would be to take down all the levies and turn it into a large reef. Those folks could move elsewhere.

Frankly I am surprised it was not hit by a terrorist already, it looks like an easy target that could do massive damage.

I hope the best for the people who choose to live down there but I seems odd to be to rebuild that infastructure.
This is why I'm a little disapointed with the evacuation and the timetable in which it took place. The potential for what has taken place was SO high. My Dad lived there for a while in his early 20's and has been predicting this eventuality for decades.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote