View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 12:19 AM   #9
Clammer

I can,t [offhand] think of any current fishery //[[maybe offshore ]] that is healthier now than 30-35 years ago ..

except the possible f %^&*( bluefish ] no that,s wrong /that was better then also //

how about these //& any would help me figure where WTF is it gonna end ..
Winter [[Flats ]] 100 a day per man was not uncommon / I havn,t caught one on R & R in years ..

White Perch / Spring & Fall -- haven,t caught any at all in the salt/brackish in 16 years // I had a 400 pound day from shore the day after Thanksgiving // oh shoooooo its only a spring fishery..

Tom Cod ==one was on the main board last week /didn,t know what it was // we use to catch them from september to May ==thru the winter ..
EELs // three good eel pots would get you enough eels to fish two guys all weekend //

Cod --from shore or shallow water // use to catch them just outside Beavertail. & always a mixed bag of cod & tautog in shallow water outside of Westport ..

Frost fish/ spearing at nite w/ flashlights / what a ball =====gone

kingfish/whiting // not much around //

Balloonfish //I,ve seen one in the last 15 years & it was in a lobster tank ....
Sharks - 6 to 12 ' the summer was always good for a few good sized ones in the bay ===========especially MT HOpe /when the discharge was real hot ..

Squeteague // cycle //none when I was a kid /a ton for about 8-10 years / the less there were ,the bigger they were ;; my last Squet was taken on a live Menhaden 20 years ago & it was 15#...

Even the Stripers // the schoolies /you could have nonstop action all season /Not just the spring & fall runs ;;
Bulls // in the upper bays in the spring / 40,s & 50,s weren,t uncommon ;; 20,s weren,t even looked at ;;

I caught a 36+# way up Lees River that last week of May tooooooooooooo many years ago & entered it in a tournment held in the bay /it was the largest for that day // It didn,t even place in the standings //

these two fish /I know where & personally know both anglers :;

A 53# in 5' of water in Warwick & a 63# caught in the upper bay /north of the islands ....

[[GIANT }} bluefish tuna right off Beavertail, & scarboro Beach & a mile off Matunic

I remember fishing the old Newport Striper tournament in October & guys that choose to tuna fish down the Cape instead of the tournment / calling up // with [[who wants a Giant]] these weren,t 315 # fish either ..
they had a harder time getiinga pickup to go get them ///than catch them....

the two fish I have seen make a comeback << are summer flounder & Black sea bass ...

Did I miss any ?????????????????????

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote