View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #29
Backbeach Jake

Cool

When my son was still little, ( and not the vegetarian that he is now Don't know where I went "wrong" but I respect it.)he and I caught one of those Bluefish Blitzes in Wellfleet Harbor that you read about. The water was white with feeding blues and we hammered them. A group of kids my sons age gathered behind us. Well I had a rare "Every Man a Hero "thought go through my mind and started hooking up and handing off my rod to 8and 10 years olds. When they brought their fish in, I gutted and gilled them and sent them to their rentals nearby. Some of the Moms came out beaming at the fish their "Little Men" had caught. These were 8-10 pounders. Some, I can still hear their screams. As I coached them in, I tried to get as much of the ethical side of fishing in as possible." Are you gonna eat it? Are you sure? If not it has to go back, cos you don't take stuff from the grocery store that you aren't going to eat, do you?"That was my best day as a fisherman.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote