View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #63
capecodder

LC,
Have to disagree on your Green Day assessment as I would put American Idiot in my top 10, maybe top 5. It is, hands down, the best rock album in years, many years. Musically, you won't find the intricate guitar work or instrumentalism of many, but what you will find is a Stones-esque tightness to the band. Quite simply that band rocks and plays together like few others. That in itself puts them in a league of few.

While some attribute the Stones greatness to Taylor and Jones, and they surely were highly talented and important, the thing that sets the Stones apart is the rythm section. Richards, Watts and Wyman grooved so well together. That feel is the basis for their greatness. Every now and then Richards rises up with some lead guitar work, but its the rythm and blues base from those three that established everything for them.

Green Day is the only modern Rock band that exhibits that feel and tightness. I didn't think it was there with Dookie but with age they have developed. Just because American Idiot sold well doesn't mean they sold out.
capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote