View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #21
beamie

This kind of incident unfortunately happens almost everyday on and east of the bank.

I've seen it personally.

Some "captains" have too much ego.

You don't want to crowd another boat, however there is enough room for a few boats to fish even the same small hump when drifting.

The charter gang has its "cliques" and until you get known your nobody. Even guys in the same club "charter boat organizations" don't often help each other out when on the water as far as fishing goes. i.e. if a boat is having a slow day and wants to get fish for their hire and calls a "freind, fellow charter" and asks how they are doing.....answer "it's spotty, kind of slow", meanwhile at the dock you hear they had a 700 pound day. humm.

The actions of the charter are most likely alcohol induced but the "captain" could have handled it better.

Even if you did not set up and fish that day and went back to those numbers the next day before the charter got there allot of "captains" would have landed right on top of you. His reasoning will be I've never seen you hear before and these are my numbers. Like I said, too much ego from most.

Things can be handled way better by saying something like " Hey guys I've been working this hump for an hour and my boat drifts quicker than yours so it's gonna get tight" But in the real world you get. "These are my numbers so scr*w"

It can be an intimadating, cut-throat industry.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA