View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Fired to say the least

What the dispatcher did was unexcusable to that six year old kid. Its not up to her to determine where the call is false. Its up to the officers who repsond. If its an address with a chronic false call problem then charge the people there when the officers arrive with making a false call. That usually solves that problem.

The good samaritan law protects anyone including police and fireman from suit when they stop or get called to help someone. It came about because a guy stopped at a crash and pulled this kid out of a burning VW on route 3 in Quincy, Mass., and the kid sued because his arm was cut by glass. Court threw the suit out and the legislature filed a law quickly shortly thereafter. I cracked a guys ribs when I did CPR and he lived to die on a golf course about a year later and he never complained. You can't do anything about the injuries. Where would the person be if you didn't bother with CPR of the Heimlich. The thing I have always dreaded is walking into a home where there is no D.N.R. and someone has just become unresponsive and half the family says she just wanted to be let go and the other half is screaming for her to be resucitated. You have to attempt resucitation or you can kiss your butt goodbye. Most people/families nowadays wait an hour after someone has passed and then they call, so post mortem lividity has set it and death is obvious and resucitation fruitless. Also nurses who have a higher standard of "duty to care" than police or fire can call a death making a police response unnecessary, which keeps the death more personel and dignified.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote