View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
Raven

Thumbs up ahhah a vw man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
oh oh.. I do 1971 VW super beetle..32mpg & a 2000 VW Golf TDI..48mpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i had lotsa beetles man..4 of -em, a vw van and a vw deisel rabbit too...
the diesel rabbit had dual fuel tanks and with 50 MPG and i had a 1000 mile cruising range before needing fuel again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
well then ,you'll appreciate this...then...NEBE

back in 1972 i had bought a VW bug and my wife and i were planning to drive it across country to San Diego (3000 miles) for awhile....(10 years LOL), and the seats were basically shot....and un-fixable...

i wanted to camp along the way...and to not have to spend money on motels...so rather than replace the seats i took them all out and built my own..because well ->i'm kind of eccentric you could say...and we were crossing the country with less than $400.00 dollars to our name.
can you imagine that? today?

anyways: i built a complete frame out of oak first ! at the aproximate height and then covered them with thin foam and then a rubber backed canvas from an old meleigh printer mat....salvaged from the Daisy corporation in New bedford....where i once worked.
with 1 foot thick foam on top of that and then a soft fabric on top.

So that the front seats were hinged and they could lay perfectly flat. So to make a long story shorter... in essence i had created the "BED BUG".... and you could be comfortably sleeping while the other person drove. In front of the seats were padded flip ups.

Or if you pulled into a camp ground real late at night (when closed)
to shower, shave, and to do some laundry...you could be sleeping in no time with your VW tent and i had compartments under the seats for all your stuff too.

Then at the break of day (before they opened) you take off without having to pay... heh heh heh.. we actually only made it as far as Tennesee when i blew a hole in piston number 3 so i had to rebuild the motor in a single day with used parts....but thats another good story for another day.

I'd sometimes rent a camp ground for a day pull my vw motor and tear it down and be gone by check out time... the next morning....

Gas was so cheap in those days its unreal to even think of it and i crossed the country more than ten times.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote