View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #30
Flaptail

Smile

Immigrants are not "bad" people. We are all descendents of immigrants unless you have Native American blood running through your veins, which I am blessed to have some running through mine. Talk about people who got screwed and still are. Anyway, my ancestors spoke only Polish/Russian/Lithuanian and French when they landed here. ( My Great x 6 Grandfather was A French Baron who escaped the Guilotine and came here and married a full blooded MicMac indian woman). Some of your might have been English or Irish or Scottish and knew English already (Irish and Scottish in a modified form), thats great.

Immigrants and the cultural mix is what made this country great. Otherwise we would be like a bunch of inbred dogs. Look at what happened to Irish Setters. The problem we have is that we need to set up better parameters for entrance into, stayiing in and becoming a citizen of, this country. It's too easy right now to enter from Mexico and latin America. My Grand father emigrated here at 13 speaking only Polish and Russian. He had to endure Ellis Island. He taught himself english and became a citizen. That's all these people need to do, especially in the dangerous age we live in.

Most of them work hard, very hard. Do we need the gangs like ms13 and such and the ones who choose to belong to them? No. But most of the Latino community would agree with that as well. All we ask is that they adopt a simple set of rules, they do not have to abandon thier culture or language but they do have to adopt ours and the principals we live by as Americans. Italians have Columbus Day, Irish have St. Patricks Day and so on, celebrating thier culture and it's great. The Latino community can too but we need rules and if they choose to stay here then take the final step and become a Latino-American. I think the fine proposed is the right step. It will be the impetus for them to finally make the decision to go or stay. They are more than welcome to stay.

Lastly the Spanish version of the National Anthem is not correct. We would never do that to the Mexican Anthem, the Brazilian anthem and so on. Although, as a child going to a Parochial school, we were forced by the Sister's of Saint Anne, a Canadian order of Nuns, to sing the Au Canada first each morning before the Star Spangled Banner and no one complained, Never sat right with me or anyone I went to school with but our parents, my mother especially, who was french Canadian, loved it. It was just wrong and so is a spanish Star Spangled Banner with wording changed.

That's my two cents on this issue.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote