Thread: Aquariums
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #22
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

The freshwater tank with the convict in it.

Is too close to that window. Being that close to the window, you may see algae blooms starting down the road. Cant make it out from the picture, but if you have a little bit of that backdrop left over wrap it around that corner that faces out the window. It should cut down on some of the light/ algae blooms.

If you havent already, get yourself a plecostamus "pleco" to clean the tank for you. The convict shouldnt bother it.

If you plan on adding other aggressive cichlids two things to remember: 1. Rearrange the structures inside the tank just before you add the new fish. The established fish, your convict knows the lay of the land in the tank and its all his. Pretty much the whole thing is his, rearranging the tank when introducing the new fish, this will make the fish establish their own territories. Basically, if you add stuff without rearranging the tank, your convict thinks youre feeding him.... 2. Make sure the fish you are adding are roughly the same size, this will cut down on your convict picking on your new additions because they are smaller, unless you're introducing small, quick shoal fish.

If you want something fun to watch add like a half dozen "striped danios" if you can get the jumbos theyre better, they're short money and fun to watch, in a tank with aggressives. The aggressives will chase them but cant catch em They're pretty quick lil shoal or schooling fish.

Looks like a fun tank!! I raised fish for years if I can help with anything let me know.

If you like saltwater tanks, look at keeping African chichclids. They keep at a really high ph but they have all the vibrant colors of most salwater setups. My favorites are the labido Chromis.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote