Thread: Cord wrap
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
Krispy

Cord wrap

Hi all,
just wanted to pass along some experimenting I did with using cord for the rod butt in place of cork tape.
I needed to replace some worn out cork on a jigging rod I got, initially I used 3/16" diamond braided nylon from HD, which was nice but almost a little to thick. And it was bright electric blue.
Yesterday I went to one of the ArmyNavy stores in the city at lunch and picked some black parachute cord.
Really nice stuff, its soft on the hands, but the ribbing of the wrap gives it grip to keep the rod from sliding in your hand. Also wont wear out waders sliding it btwn the legs or under the arm, and the cord is rot proof. It looks bad ass, esp. the black cord on a black wrapped rod. Was super easy to replace the cork tape.
Ive read I may need to preshrink the parachute cord in hot water.
I just have on temporarily right now, but will attach it permanently with some adhesive and thread wrap the ends.
The para cord comes in tons of colors, and I can envision my next honey rod over the winter being wrapped with 2 cords for a two tone gold/brown look to match the guide wraps.
Relatively cheap too, and worth foling around to see if ya like it.
I could see it working nice for alot of the canal guys that do heavy jigging

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote