View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Goose

I like doing everything myself,, I've had butchers do it but I've learned alot since then by reading and talkin with people who've processed 100's of deer. After its cooled I found that its best to cut it up sooner then later,,like stated above, you can put off cutting it up a day or two if the temps are low enough but by leting it hang longer all your doing is leting the roting process start sooner. I debone all my meat. Often times the butcher will run it through the saw which IMO isn't good...it puts bone dust and particals on the meat giving it a funny taste, also, deboneing you have a much better idea when you prepare food(how many heads to feed). I'll admit you don't yeild as much meat. I cut away all tendins and fat(cutting away fat is a must!!) An easy way to work on your deer is to tie rope through the legs,, this allows you to remove one leg at a time while leting the deer still able to hang. Having it on a pully makes your job alot easier. Its not that bad once you do one or two.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote