View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #60
Karl F

Smile Who Wrote the Bible??

Goose, if you have time, Google that. a LOT of reading..
Is the Bible the word of God?.. might be some in there, but not all..
interesting stuff, whe you see who was involved the politics of it all, and how many times it has been revised and edited to meet with certain agendas...

I think Mike P hit the nail on the head with his post too.. that is one passage the televangilists, and the plate passers don't dwell on...

2 years ago, when my mother passed.. a devout bible scholar, church go-er. and mother of 6 sons.. (only one of whom (and not me) attends church, much to her dismay) anyway, I spent the better part of one morning with her pastor from her church in Brewster, going over her funeral service arrangement, and we talked of her beliefs, and differences with both my dad, and brothers, over the matter of the bible and religion. He surprised me, when I told him, while I do not attend church, or have any love of organized religion, or hold much that God's word is verbatim in the bible.. and that I feel much closer to my maker, when I am alone on a dark beach.. and fishing.....than I ever could be in his, or any other church, and I found that to be my "religion", if you could call it that... he smiled.. chuckled and said.. "Me too".. we both got real silent.. and smiled at each other for a while.. BTW.. he did a great job on her service.. "and he is a pretty good fisherman too, I later found out .."

To borrow a phrase from Jimmy Buffet..
"Television Preachers, with bad hair and pimples..
The God's Honest Truth.. it just ain't that simple!"

I feel pretty comfortable that if I have to be judged, it will be on who I am, what I have done, and not on what book I read, or church I attended, or didn't.. I think Flap is right, when he said it's more on how we act, get along, and treat each other..

BTW.. I am no Liberal or Conservative either...
Ah.. religion and politics.. they should never mix.. but always seem to get thrown tin the same pot..

After re-reading this..I prolly should just delete this.. but after all that typing, I might as well post it.. Flame On.. Over and OUT!
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote