View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #26
CAL
I need spring!

I was 11, no school for almost two weeks I think. Luckily our garage was connected so we could get to the shovels. Snow drifts were higher than the front door. We had to shovel out from the inside. A guy in the neighborhood had a snowmobile and he tied on a toboggan and made trips to the Purity Supreme in Weymouth so we could all get food. Was pretty much a full time job for the guy for awhile.

My father worked for Mass Electric. A crew from some electric company in Quebec was sent down to work with him since so many power lines were down. He worked 20 hours on, then 4 off for sleep, then 20 on again.....for six weeks, seven days a week. With the union rules, he said he made almost a years pay in that time

Not that it was as bad as '78, but that storm on April 1st, in 96 or 97 was a doozy. I lost power for a week. No heat or hot water (god, the showers were brutal). Top 25 feet of a 60 or 70 foot pine missed my living room by inches. And the funny thing was that there was no snow when I went to bed and by 5 AM we were buried.
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote