Thread: Fuel costs
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
That's because there is plenty of oil,,,,, Always has been,,, Sh$t you can still get oil at $40 a barrel,,,, It is just bitter,,, not the sweet stuff that needs (key words) Less refining,,,

It all has to do with the refineries..... That's where the shortage is,,,, and it is always a reason for the oil companies to raise gas prices,,,,, So there is no incentive to build a new refinery when you can still meet demand and make more money doing it....
That is how I see it. If company A processes x number of barrels and continues to make a profit (a substantial one at that) with a set # of refineries, why would they open up or bring back on line more? Sure they could process more and get their costs down. But is it really in their best interests? Their biggest concern is the bottom line and if they make the same net profit by refining more (cumulative) , why would they bother. More refineries means more people working for them and the greater chance for something to cost them money. ie; mechanical failures,potential injuries and lawsuits and all the other expenses associated.

Sure it would make the general population happier. But then again, I don't believe they give 2 craps about us. Their biggest concern is about the bottom line. We are becoming a society of "the Haves", and "Have Nots". Middle class America is slowly heading towards non existence and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

I would bet 40 or so years ago the majority of homes had stay at home moms. That isn't the case today. Not many households can get by on a single "bread winner".
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote