View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #16
Diamond Tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's not reasonable to make policy based on the isolated incident.
-spence
Not True, SOME decisions need to be made, NO action is the same as allowing it to happen again, then we are all just as complicit.
These incidents dont seem that isolated to me anymore, I dont think we need to go through the whole list of school shootings , do we .

Quote:
As an aside...why anyone would carry on campus just because they could is beyond me...assuming you're not attending the U of Kabul -spence
Personally I would not carry on any campus, I dont want the responsibility, but those that are willing to accept the burden, ESP someone as brave as that professor, deserve the opportunity .

Quote:
I'm certainly not anti-gun, but I do think this whole self defence mantra is part political rhetoric or perhaps somtimes just fantasy. Yes, it certainly does happen but not enough to justify broader policy. -spence
No more rethoric than the "ban all guns" mantra of the far left, which is all they seem to be able to come up with, more laws, more ridiculous paperwork for law abiding citizens. Easy, quick fix ,feel good legislation that does>>>> NOTHING.

Quote:
In the VT incident the problems appear to be the ease at which Cho was able to buy weapons after the system knew he was a wacko, and the inability of the system to find him and stop the violence once it started. -spence
Well we certainly agree here. A lot of people dropped the ball on this one. The only fantasy I see is that "we the people" have teams of concerned FEDERAL employees all doing their jobs to prevent sales of guns to the likes of Cho. Red flags should have gone off all over the place.
The system doesnt work properly, its just another federal job with $15/ hr clerks sitting behind a computer making decisions based on the info in front of them, it certainly aint Kirsten Vangsness approving these background checks (the criminal minds chick with all your personal info at her fingertips)

Quote:
I'm not sure there's any easy fix to all of this. But sometimes these things just happen.-spence
There probably is no easy fix, glad we agree on that too.
Maybe , We can start with removing the guns from the crazies, as Ive said before, we certainly don't allow people with restraining orders against them to purchase or own, why crazies ? Ahhh, back full circle to that doctor patient confidentiality thing. Where exactly is that in the constitution anyway ??

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote