View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #29
Ed B

I think society as a whole throughout time is constantly improving. Granted there are ebbs and flows of all sorts of issues across the spectrum but on things of major importance like disease, public health, safety, war fatality, modern society is constantly improving.

There is no comparison between now and a century ago in terms of what we perceive as unacceptable loss on the battlefield. Not just the losses of WWII and WW I, but look at what happened in the Civil War. Americans vs Americans, 10,000- 30,000 dead after a battle and that many more would die from injuries and disentary. Lawlessness everywhere and the furthur back you traveleled in time the worse it was. What is happening now in the third world countries was more common around the planet.

Granted you won't catch me walking through the tough side of an inner city with a lot of cash now, but I don't think there was ever a time when that was a smart thing to do. I am optimistic for the future as I think if you look past the fog of our day to day aggravations we have it better now than ever before.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote