View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #58
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

Everything flows down from childhood. That is the root. How that root is mentored by the family makes a tremendous difference.
Absolutely, and today with the divorce rate at 50% and most parents both working the kids get short changed,
not in material things but in one on one quality time.

I know there are alot of guys on this site that work, to be "PC"- mentor, kids. Some work with the Boy Scouts , supporting fishing programs, taking kids fishing, sports programs and i'm sure alot of others.
Alot of these programs allow time to spend with their own kids as well. God bless all of you! I know the ones who do it are rewarded in many ways.

I've been doing volunteer work with kids since the early 70s, alot of one on one, ages 12-17yrs.
The changes i've seen with the kids problems since starting is mind boggling. The things these kids face every day would blow your mind.

When they start to trust you and open up ,you can see what they face and how much guidance they really need. Violence, drugs, family problems right down the line. It's EVERYWHERE.

Best thing any parent can do is spend a complete day in their kids school and see first hand what goes on . Mind opening.

Working with the kids can help some,
but the Absolute best case senario is when they have at least one parent or granparent they can go to who really understands them.

But that person really has to spend ALOT of time listening and getting down in their shoes to begin to understand what they face and go through.

In addition, really understanding and advising, they have to reinforce, "Do the right thing".

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote