View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
BassDawg
Trophy Hunter Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Here's how one writer explained it yesterday on a talk show:

He will vote for Bonds and Clemens because they would have got there without the juice.

He won't vote for McGwire because he wouldn't even be taken seriously for Cooperstown but for his steroid inflated numbers. Same for Palmeiro.

No matter how strong steroids made Clemens, he still had to have the stuff to get hitters out. Even if steroids gave you the 98 mph fastball, you still had to throw it with movement and with location, and be able to throw your off speed pitch for strikes.
That's all good, Mike P

However, with pitchers I think that we will see a distinction that should be noted.

It seems to me that to achieve bulk, strength, speed, and enhanced performance there were and are hundreds of players (mostly power hitters, and those that needed a little something extra to make it to the BIGS) that injected the juice to get LARGE. Very easy to apply the eye test to, and more susceptible to demonstrations of roid rage.

Contrarily, in order to enhance one's endurance and recoverability it seems that the drug of choice is HGH. This avenue would be more pitcher friendly, though not exclusive to them as we have seen that its ability to boost one's rehab time is incredible, desirable even. It has also been alleged that HGH is required to help the structural parts of the body catch-up to the muscles and joints enlargement that takes place while one is on the juice. For pitchers, this HGH seems to be the Fountain of Youth. And if proven, could and should bring doubt to the legitimacy of the milestones the Rocket garnered while using PED's. For example, does anyone really think that he would've been pitching into his late 30's as effectively as he did without HGH?

The biggest difference i can see between the two is that one is developementally focused and the other is supplementally driven. They can be used together or separate, but if one was trying to avoid the more obvious bodily changes that anabolics bring upon one's frame, then the way to go would be with HGH as I understand it. Harder to detect, more subtle and less noticeable to the naked eye, and allows one to pitch into their 70's.................

"The first condition of happiness is that the connection
between man and nature shall not be broken."~~ Leo Tolstoy

Tight Lines, and
Happy Hunting to ALL!
BassDawg is offline   Reply With Quote