View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
BassDawg
Trophy Hunter Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer223 View Post
I want to say Baltimore came close in the early Seventies.It's funny how you didn't include hockey as a major sport,very indicative of their loss in popularity.Brady and Moss seem to just be playing catch in the backyard sometimes.Oops,the moment I typed that a Miami defender interrupted their game of catch with Brady's seventh (yes 7th) pick of the year.Geez Louise.I think some poor soul had 5 or 6 picks in one game this year.
I love hockey and DO consider it one of the four major sports, i just didn't think that the Bruins were germaine to the question.

If the "B's" were a better team, and had even the remotest of shots at The Stanley Cup, then we could be considering an all 4 Champs Feat, that I know has never been done! Gonna have to get out the Sports Almanac for the Cities that may or may not have done this.

I think that you're right, Slammer, Baltimore accomplished the two sports Championships in the early 70's! Earl Weaver, Jim Palmer, Don Baylor, Boog Powell, Davey Johnson, and Brooks and Frank Robinsons for the 1970 O's. What a team!!! The Colts of 1970-1971 were Johnny Unitas, Ted Hendricks, Bubba Smith, Billy Ray Smith, Ray Perkins, John Mackey, Eddie Hinton, and Jim O'Brien ~a real blue collar team!! Champs, thru and thru.

Did Pittsburgh garner the two sports titles with the Steel Curtain and the Pesky Pirates? If all three have been won before, it was quite the accomplishment, I'd be verrrry happy with just the two, but the way these Celts have been looking................it's at the least, something we can hope for !

"The first condition of happiness is that the connection
between man and nature shall not be broken."~~ Leo Tolstoy

Tight Lines, and
Happy Hunting to ALL!
BassDawg is offline   Reply With Quote