View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #24
Diggin Jiggin

I'm pretty boring when it comes to painting. Most of the colors I spray are straight out of the bottle createx.

I do mix 3 colors. White pearl with a few drops of opaque red makes a nice pink pearl, I like to shoot this down the side of a pearl white plugs.

A couple drops of red in opaque yellow gives you a nice school bus color that I really like on topwater and danny's.

A few drops of black in some yellow gives you an olive.

I have one brush, an iwata eclipse bcs. For cleaner I just pour about an inch of windex in a empty gallon water jug and fill up with water. I break the brush down and try and clean it pretty well each time I use it. I try to organize a few groups of plugs so that they are primed at the same time so I can just get the paint stuff out once and then paint em all in one marathon session.

When painting I keep one of the bottles with a blast cap full of the cleaner. I set an upside down trashcan lid on a 5 gallon bucket where I paint. It catches the overspray and its where I spray water when I clean the brush by spraying the water between colors. In between colors I spray the water, then remove the water bottle from the gun, put my finger over the tip and shoot, and that backflushes the color out of the port and into the lid. Then i do the water again. Do this 2 or 3 times, takes like 20 seconds, then start with the next color.

I haven't been thinning the paints. My yellow and pearls are sometimes thick and don't shoot well. Old paint also tends to get thicker. When I spray thicker paint like those I back the nut off that holds the needle and I slide the needle back from the cone a tiny bit and tighten it back up. This makes a wider opening so the thicker paint shoots ok at a lighter pressure.

When the gun gets gunked up in the middle of a session, I just put the water bottle on and crank the pressure up to like 40-50 lbs, and spray the water till it comes clean, then backflush it a few times, it usually only takes a few seconds. if the tip gets gunked up, I have a coffee can of water next to me and I just submerge the tip and blow bubbles. That seems to help too.

I have a regulator right at the end of the hose where I work, when I change colors I turn the pressure down and just turn it up until it sprays that color ok. Seems like different colors sometimes need more or less pressure and I make less of a mess when I use low pressure so I start low each time...
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote