Thread: Hab-a-clone
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Nice nerdles.. First thing I noticed was that they are mostly light in color...
Is that preferance or thats what U needed to fill out ur stock..
Built 'em mostly for the plugfest. I usually fish blk/orange, blurple, yellow, flo green/white. I prefer the BM needles (although Habs big needle has been good to me as well), and now have a design of my own that I prefer. Eddy and KarlF make excellent needles as well.

Quote:
I was surprised to find that my self a few yrs ago..The weight will vary but most where close to 2.5 oz..
That's because Habs poured his weights into the plug. There is lead running all over the place inside some of his, the nose weight must vary by 2-3 grams on some......which is a lot on a thin needle. I never owned many, but I'd be very suprised if the action was consistent plug to plug.

Quote:
Like most plugs I fish especially needles.Weight can be the most important factor..
I have taking some an decreased the lead in the tail for NJ fishing where we often don't have lots of pull or deep water in close proximity to the surf.Had some decent nights this fall with em..
I'm sure NIB knows this, but for those who don't, the trouble with pulling weight out of the tail of a heavy thin needle, is that the plug sinks more level, so it looses the plane effect of the body that works to bring it to the top. Once tail light needles sink, they are hard to get back up. Needles are all about balance. There is MUCH more to them than you would think (though the fish don't seem that fussy about which ones they hit).
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote