View Single Post
Old 01-16-2003, 12:03 PM   #14
Saltheart

I would think you would be better off with less alloying elements than to "sensitize" the higher alloyed materials with the lower temp anneal. We call it sensitized whenthe material is heated to the point where the Chrome comes out of solution in the iron and forms Chrome Carbides. Not only does the base material become more prone to corrosion , but the corrosion gets localized at grain boundaries. this will quickly turn the wire brittle and it will break. Sensitization can also happen if you get it hot enough but cool it too slowly through the range where the Chromium Carbides precipitate out. I would think even just plain steel would be better than sensitized stainless.

Anyway , I think using softer , lower alloyed wire like the 308 to begin with would be a better choice.

As bud8fan said , these materials will work harden so just bend as needed. Try to never bend it one way then unbend it or bend it back the other. Also try not to pinch or dent it with pliers in the areas where you will be bending. That will also cause brittle spots.

Better still , why not just ask JHabs what kind of wire he uses?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote