Thread: Taxes
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #17
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
For the last 50 years, since the Watts and Newark riots, the politicians have thrown just enough money at the poor to keep them where they are with a feeling of entitlement and not much else except to buy themselves votes. Imho more $$ won't do it.

The schools and teachers are already there to prepare the kids to become educated and get jobs, but the kids need soild family backing by their families to motivate them to go to school, do their homework and succeed.
Without that kind of guidance nothing will work, just the same old cycle of ,little discipline, lack of motivation and a feeling of hopelessnes.

Unfortunately, money can't buy good values ,morals and families which are the things needed to move things forward imho.
I agree 100%. I meant that the money coming in now should be more wisely spent on programs to get people off of welfare, unemployment, etc..., not adding more money for new programs. It's become a way of life and a lot of people can't (or won't) break the cycle. I place a lot of blame on the politicians because they keep it going. They learned long ago to dangle the programs in front of the people to keep the votes coming their way. I work in a really bad neighborhood and every day I see the results of social programs becoming a lifestyle, as opposed to a crutch to help people when they need to get back on their feet.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote