View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #47
Backbeach Jake

When I'm reading the posts here, I try to keep in mind that I don't know the guy or gal behind that nifty nickname, or what their experience may or may not be. If they are relating a story, I listen. If MY experiences don't jibe, I at least know that everyone's angle of view is different, and so may be their perception. Still with me?
Now having heard their tale and noting that my version is different, I don't immediately judge them as wrong or a liar and call them out. I wouldn't do that in a face to face situation, and I sure as hell wouldn't do that from the safety of my keyboard. I've had it done to me, and I have to tell you, it gets my ass right out right now. If nothing else, listen and make note that that is another way your version of the situation could have gone. IMHO this is the cause of many flame wars on the interblabweb and also and even more sadly why more experienced and knowledgeable fishermen rarely post. I've said it before "you'd be surprised who lurks here" . YMMV

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine