Thread: Interesting
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #24
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I said above that they do, and al Qaeda would argue that the West enables oppresive Islamic leaders.

Bin Laden has executed a brilliant marketing campaign, and marketing rarely makes an objective statement. You wouldn't have much success inciting a global insurgency if you started off by listing the bad things done in the name if Islam would you?

You asked why they attacked us on 9/11 and I've told you, but you still can't seem to process it.

Not at all, we shoud do everything to eliminate Bin Laden and his ilk. But we should also focus on addressing the very issues that have allowed his message to fester within the moderate Islamic world.

Bush's policy has made this challenge even more difficult as our global standing has been so diminished under his leadership.

I think the real evidence out there would indicate just the opposite. Bin Laden left a family of limitless wealth. Most of the 9/11 hijackers came from a middle class background. Many Palestenian suicide bombers are from more successful families and many are not even fundamentalist Muslims.

Again it goes back to the characterization of terrorists as crazy which is a dangerous position to take. If you believe they are not rational, then how would you predict their actions? Terrorisim is in fact quite predictable if you're able to understand what motivates them.

Quite often, it's simply rage.

-spence
Spence, it sounds like you have all the answers. I'm sure someone who can predict terrorist attacks could come in real handy. Sounds like your quite impressed with Bin Laden. Your wrong about why these people do what they do. The young Palistines believe they will be made marters and their familys are paid by Hammas. Look at the few idiot Americans that joined the Taliban. They were for the most part confused,spoiled little pukes who needed a cause and were looking to feel like they had a purpose in life. We have a lot of them in this country.