Thread: This is Racism
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Decisions based on the color of skin - racism.
So when a black woman walks up to the cosmetics counter and they pull out the tray of brown makeup they're being racist? That's silly.

There really has to be a negative connotation for it to be racist, it's not so literal.

In this specific case the network isn't implying anything negative about McCain, but rather that Obama's candidacy is quite historic and of special interest to a certain community.

Quote:
My interpretation of this? Obama is black americas candidate, McCain is white americas, if McCain wins - it will be the whites who won. More bitterness, more division but yet NONE of it will be due to any actions by white people, yet they'll be blamed.
Obama has a lot of white support and many independent voters (I'm obviously not including people like Buttman or whatever his name is) don't give a whip about his color. Sure you'll get the camera darlings claiming it was a con job, but the simple fact that Obama was running for president will do more to lessen divisions than anything else.

You're engaging in "Limbaugh Thought." Try to predict the worst in people so when it happens, no matter how small the sample, you can claim you were right all along.

You know, I really don't understand all this white uproar over a black double standard. Guess what?

There is a double standard!!!

One hundred and forty five years ago this country still had black people as slaves. Up until the 1960's we still had segregation in this country!

Granted, it's on a spectrum and we're heading in the right direction as is evident by the Obama campaign. But this whole "what if a white person said that" mantra is simply not reality.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 07-09-2008 at 03:34 PM..