Thread: This is Racism
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #17
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Not necassarily, I think if you have preconceived ideas about someone based on the color of their skin you are being racist.

Once you put a negative connotation with it then you are being a racial bigot.

I joke around about the sexist thing the same way, if someone assumes that my wife does something because she's the woman I always call them on it...

Say you go to a cookout at a new neighbors house.....The neighbor's wife comes up to you and says "Tell your wife that the Souffle she made was just divine"

And you say "Well, actually I made it" and she says "Really...I just assumed...."

Isn't that her being sexist, she assumed that it was the woman that did the cooking.....and I'd bet you'd be a little put off about it....even though she didn't mean anything by it.

just food for thought....plus I'm bored
Racism concerns superiority vs. inferiority sentiment filtered through the looking glass of power (social power, economic power, etc.). I think what you mean here is prejudiced. Prejudice involves the preconceived notions regardless of power structure or social arrangements. To say "I just dont like him because he is black" could be construed as prejudices, but to call someone a n***** would be racist. The two may seem like they are the same, but I assure you there are different implications with the two scenarios.