View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #38
FishermanTim

They should institute a LAW that the driver of any vehicle cannot use ANY phone while driving... PERIOD.
Any phone, be it hand held, headset or ONSTAR are all distractions.
You can be the safest driver in the world, but if some idiot HAS to make thier worthless, drivel-ridden phone call while driving, how safe are you?
I have a cell phone, and I yelled at my brother for calling me while I was driving. I don't care if HE has a hands-free setup, I don't and I hate anything that will disctract me while I'm cruising around in a 2 ton projectile. I drive with my hands at 10 and 2, will reply to question by talking to the windshield (eyes on the road) and will leave my radio alone until I am stopped at a light before taking my eyes off the road, unless some idiot is swerving into my lane and I need to see where I can go to escape an accident (happened on Rt 128 south near the Rt 24 merge a few years back).
Fortunately I had worked for an executive driver service back in the early 90's, and part of the hiring process was taking a defensive driving course. It has saved my skin a number of times.

Bottom line: Any distraction is a major distraction, and can result in a serious accident.
If a driver is on his cell phone while driving, and hits you, you should request a copy of his cell phone record to verify your claim. It may not be possible in minor fender-benders, but I can't see why it would be used in major accidents.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote