View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
ReelinRod

You are experiencing a common problem with spinners throwing braid at high line velocities. There is zero need for large guides with braid especially huge wire frames. The old "rules" for wrapping spinning rods with huge guides are pretty much relegated to the "vintage" heap, only to be resurrected if you want a rod built like they did in the "oldern days". The whippiness of the 1L only adds to the problem; loose coils of braid trying to navigate thru big rings on a rod with delayed recovery is a recipe for disaster.

While the the "New Concept" is good you will still experience guide wraps; perhaps even more-so because the limpness of braid does not follow that nice , theoretical "cone" of control . . . and there are not a heck of a lot more guides. True New Concept on an 11ft Lami would net you 8 or 9 guides. Guide wraps will still happen because the limp coils are still not being controlled and the shape of the guides permit a hitch to take hold.

The Low Rider system is what you are looking for; fewer guides (than New Concept), less weight and I know, better casting performance. The shape of the guide is designed to eliminate guide wraps; there is no catch-point on the frame / ring for the line to grab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lowriders.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	29365

Lowriders epitomize the modern, prevalent thinking for spinning equipment with braid being thrown with high line velocities; to throttle the line as soon as possible. The old gradual choke theory of old is not compatible with braid (at least at high velocities). Braid demands to be controlled quickly especially on a rod like the 132 1L and the small rings on the lowriders were designed to do that.

My fishing down here in Jersey is primarily done with clip-down bait rigs, aerodynamic poppers and metals thrown extreme distances using JDM (Japan Domestic Market) engineered for distance spinners. My distance spinning rods are all rung with lowriders which feature a gathering guide of 20mm which is typically placed 47 inches from the reel stem.

This is my son with the best performing set-up I have; Daiwa Basia reel with 20lb Sufix running line and 80lb Sufix braid casting leader, an All Star 1507 (13'-2", 2 - 6oz) with Fuji LCSG SiC Lowriders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lowrider_basia.jpg
Views:	2690
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	29366

On this rod, after much test casting, because of the very aggressive line dispensing of the Basia the first guide was placed 53 inches from the reel stem. This set-up is good for 190 yds with a metal and 150+ yds with a Gibbs pencil (although not the best action to work it).

The Lami, while not a distance rod, should still perform better with the lowriders and they will certainly end your guide wrap woes.

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
ReelinRod is offline   Reply With Quote