View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #36
scottw

[QUOTE=RIROCKHOUND;631416][QUOTE=scottw;631412]
From Wikipedia (I know, but I dont have time to dig up a 'real' source)

"THE REAL SOURCE"...LIKE THE ACTUAL CONSTITUTION???? HAAAAA

not good enough I'm afraid...not in the Constitution

In 1801 the Danbury Baptist Association of Danbury Connecticut had heard a rumor that the Congregationalist Denomination was about to become the established religion of the United States. Being concerned, as they should be, they wrote a letter to then President Thomas Jefferson on October 7th 1801.

On January 1st, 1802 Jefferson replied in a letter, which contained the following statement:

“American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and State”.

This letter is where the misrepresented idea of separation of church came from.

1811 – People vs. Ruggles

The Supreme Court Stated:

“Whatever strikes at the root of Christianity tends to manifestly to the dissolution of civil government.”

In 1853 a group filed a suit that actually wanted “Separation of Church and State”. The Case never made it to the Supreme Court.

On March 27, 1854 The House Judiciary Committee Stated:

“Had the people during the revolution had any suspicion of any attempt to war against Christianity, the revolution would have been strangled in its cradle.”

The Committee Continued…

“At the time of the adoption of the constitution and the amendments, the universal sentiment was the Christianity should be encouraged, but not any one sect.”

Also, it stated…

“In this age, there can be no substitute for Christianity. That was the religion of the founders of the Republic and they expected it to remain the religion of their descendants.”

Furthermore…

“The great vital and conservative element of our system is the belief of our people in the pure doctrines and the divine truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.” 1878 – Reynolds vs. United States

*****In this case the Supreme Court used Thomas Jefferson’s letter in its entirety. The letter was actually used to ensure Christian principals were kept in government.

this is fun....