Thread: 10 MILLION
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
fishbones

Spence, you would make a great politician. You can spin anything to make it seem better or worse depending on your own opinion. In fact, maybe I'll refer to you as "Spince" going forward. Just kidding.

As a country, we're partly to blame for illegals wanting to come here. We've made it attractive and easy to move here and integrate into our society, with the consequences and risk of being caught minimal. I have no problem with any citizen wanting to legally move here to make a better life for themselves and their family. But, to do it illegally is just wrong. I couldn't just pack up my family and move to Italy and get a job and home and start a life. Also, with the risk of terrorism as high as it is these days, we need to be more protective of our country and who is allowed to come here and stay here.

On the Cape, there are plenty of Brazilians illegally living and working. They're taking jobs from legal citizens and although they spend money on the Cape, they send a big portion of it home. This is not good for our economy. I know this as a fact. I also know that many of them don't attempt to become legal because attorney's charge upwards of $4,500 to $5,000 to help them become legal and it takes a long time. Go down to Barnstable District court and see how many Brazilians are in court and being charged for driving without a license and other crimes. While dwl may not seem like a big deal to you, it puts cars on the road that usually aren't insured and they aren't paying any money to the state for registrations, licenses, excise tax, etc...And if they have an accident, there's no insurance company to pay for it. That hurts the economy.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio