View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
My honest assessment of the issues you mentioned.

1) The aunt - it's quite reasonable to believe he didn't know her status wasn't legal. I'm basing this on the notion that had she asked him to help her, he was in a position to get it done, and that if she didn't want to ask for help it's probably the last thing she would have ever told him. Sure it's possible he knew, but without any proof I don't think you have anything to base this on.

2) Ayers - sure he downplayed his association which seems the obvious move. I've read a ton into this issue and by my reconing it's a BS argument. He only had association with Ayers when he was a somewhat mainstream member of the Chicago community. They lectured at the same school and republican associates who were there at the time say they don't believe Obama was ever influenced by the man. The board they shared was founded by a former Reagan associate and included bi-partisan members.

This is one hardcore strawman BS nothing to see issue.

3) Wright - I've blabbed on a length about this issue so I won't bother to repeat myself, aside from noting that I think it's the most substantial issue of the bunch. That being said, I don't think it's a showstopper considering the context (i.e. read old threads).

I do think this issue is difficult for a lot of regular white people to understand. Black guy trying to find himself, working on the south side of Chicago, big black church where all the power is...you do the math.

-spence
Yea, yea, I hear the standard party brush off answers. I have no problem with your attempts to rationalize his behavior, you have to, you are voting for him. But I can get these canned responses from my sister in-law. I want to know what YOU think, you enjoy the political banter in this forum. Forget about the results, its pretty clear Obama/Nebe will will. I want to know if deep down you believe this guy when he looks into the camera and talks to you. Any trepidations? Any fears?

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan