View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #25
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I do think this issue is difficult for a lot of regular white people to understand. Black guy trying to find himself, working on the south side of Chicago, big black church where all the power is...you do the math.

-spence
Establishing relationships with organizations for political purposes is as old as politics. Starting with Freemasons in the 19th century and moving on from there.

Hell, I'm a lawyer. I've never run for office, but political affiliation can be a factor in your success. When I lived in Nassau County, NY, which was run by the Margiaotta/Mondello GOP machine, I was a Republican. If you ever wanted to work in the public sector, or do business with the county, you had to be a registered Republican. Did that mean I voted the straight ticket in every election from president on down? Hell no. But if someone was to check, they could find out, especially if I was now running for something as a Democrat. Oh and as soon as I registered in Mass, that registration switched over to a D.

There was a time when if you wanted to run for political office in the South, you had to belong to the Klan. I don't hold it against Robert Byrd that he was in the Klan--I hold use of the "N-word" against him within the last few years as evidence that he still is a bigot.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.