Thread: Maine Moose
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Lower

Maine Moose

Not sure how I've overlooked the sportsman talk thread all these years. Guess I need to get out of that plug building forum once in awhile. Just thought I'd share my first maine moose hunt experience with you guys. My brother-in-law drew the tag and a bunch of us went up for the hunt.

It was a LONG week of hunting. I met up with everyone Sunday (oct 12th) and headed to camp. Perfect little hunting camp up on Nicatous Lake. The surronding area is owned by a paper company. So it's all logging roads and 4 wheeler country. Beautiful setting. THICK woods! We spent all day Monday and Tuesday driving the dirt roads, riding the 4 wheelers around and hiking off the beaten path. Basically trying to find a nice area to hone in on. On tuesday evening we found a great location. Nice clear cut leading down to a bog. Fresh tracks and lots of broken tree limbs. It was a good as spot as any to focus on. Long story short, we sat in that area for the next 3 days. Sun rise to sun set. Some long boring days!

Now I've heard that moose hunting isn't hard. And I have to agree from the aspect of they aren't skiddish like a deer. But finding these critters is NOT easy. Defintily a needle in a hay stack. Those regions up there are big! Anyway our persistance paid off and we got a nice bull Friday morning. 12 point ~795 lbs. We were a tired, but happy camp! What a great time and great expereince.

This is my bro-in-law Peter with his moose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moose.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	29933  
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote