View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
...For the love of God, I hope Obama gets this country back on track, or at the very least the GOP gets its act together and realigns itself with the fundamentals that they were once known for..
I'm with you Nebe - I think it's going to take a young man - and man, is it weird to have a President that's younger than you are - to inspire people to straighten this ****ing mess out that Bush has created.

Vitriol aside, I don't honestly think McCain/Palin would have done that - this country has been that seriously damaged, economically and spiritually.

Nebe, given your age, you would have no way of knowing what it felt like to have listened to Dr. King, JFK and especially his brother Bobby, who would have been, I believe, the man to bring the country back together after the assassinations. Regardless of all the things now 'discovered' about those men to discredit them, they created an atmosphere that would have inspired us to a more compassionate approach to our own people and those in the world around us. And that is not to say we wouldn't have been more than ready to kick a$$ when necessary anywhere we were threatened.

Anger and fear are powerful and dangerously volatile emotions and they were used to great advantage by Bush et al. to manipulate the country - let's face it, they had Americans hypnotized and hysterical with a new threat every week.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel Barack will lead us back in the direction of the ideals the country was founded on and has been moved so far away from and make us a more humane and compassionate society.

He can't do it alone and certainly won't by himself. It's up to us to turn to and make this country live up to it's promise.

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.